Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Little People











This summer we got the Little People school bus and it has been in the top five favorite toys ever since. Here all seven Little People are pictured in a jewelry box. Turns out I don't actually have a good picture of the bus. I'll need to remedy that. It's a great little toy.

First of all, it rolls. And you can line it up with other cars and trucks the same size. The Little People can get on it and off it. It used to say several stock phrases and sing "Wheels on the Bus." Then it got dipped in hot bleachy water after an intimate encounter with some dog poop. Thank God. This was the gorgeous silver lining to scrubbing feces out of Lego people.

Now the Little People pretend to go many of the places Derek goes in real life. They go to OMSI, get pizza, get haircuts, go to the grocery store and the merry go round, and wait for the bus. (I'm waiting for the day they run to the bus stop bench and say "Goddamn it, missed the bus!" the way Derek and I do.)

Eating pizza can stretch for about an hour. Each of the six Little People had their own color of playdoh that got opened, squashed, and put in the oven for a few seconds. Then each was transferred in front of a Little person. Then Derek cut them all. And counted them several different ways and came up with several different numbers. (Perhaps you all will believe me if I tell you there were six Little people and 13 pieces of pizza. Derek did not. Apparently the number of Little People at the table is one of those lies your parents tell you, like how they used to be cool and listen to rock and roll.)

In other news, I met with the special ed preschool teacher today to add one day a week of preschool. Officially the reason is that he's making slow progress and he didn't get the STAR program when he first started. Feh. I think that a big part of the reason that early diagnosis of autism is so important is that it takes awhile to learn to negotiate the bureaucracy. This one was pretty easy. All I did was request it and in a matter of days we met and signed the papers. I did have a bunch of evidence from the speech therapist and another parent if I needed it, though. And then I forgot to get the picture schedule materials, which was the main reason I needed to visit in person. Doh!






And here's a picture of my dog for no particular reason:






Someday he will die, but I'll always have this to remember him by.



1 comment:

DomesticOverlord said...

My kids also love the Little People and do strange things with them. My daughter likes to make bizarre families with them. For instance: Daddy the black construction worker, Mommy the Asian girl with the basket of flowers, brother the aligator, and baby the tyrannosaurus. Then they go on weird adventures involving bank robbing at the zoo or something. Two year olds are amusing.