Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What I like about him

I'm attending a class on person-centered planning to help prepare for the (eek!) IEP process. The object of the class is to take the content Allen and I are experts in, knowing our child the best of anyone, and organize it into a structure that we can present to professionals to communicate our plan for Derek's development and the sorts of services he needs and allow the professionals to get to know him in a way that's based more on attributes and strengths than deficits and problems.

In our first class we went around and introduced ourselves and talked about our children. Most of us said what sort of disability our child has. Then we wrote down the gifts and accomplishments and went around again. The pictures we got of our children changed dramatically. Here is my list of what I like about Derek:

Easy on the eyes.
Loves to hug and cuddle.
Persistent, tenacious, determined. (I was going to say stubborn, but it's all about spin here.)
Independent, entertains himself well.
Can be quite good in boring, kid-unfriendly situations such as courtrooms and master's thesis presentations.
Fantastic in the car, bus, train, bike trailer. Enjoys traveling and rarely fusses on long trips.
Very smart about mechanical/computer cause and effect relationships.
Gets what he wants despite serious communications challenges.
Resourceful and observant. (I was going to say sneaky, but again, spin.)
Sings on key and has an excellent memory for songs.

I think there are more, but I'll leave it at that for now. I also have to think about what makes a good day and a bad day and what is important to Derek before next class. Hmm.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Your son is a beautiful gift. I can tell how thankful you are. My nephew is also on the spectrum, although highly verbal, and has other behavioral issues as well. It's so tiring sometimes, and reading you count your blessings has helped me count mine too, about John. Thanks!

darlene mcleod said...

The picture of the two of you is adorable. He is a beautiful little boy! (and you're cute, too)
I have a cousin with Asperger's, and a friend whose much younger brother also has Asperger's. Your blog will be an inspiration to all of us who have been touched by, and who are working with these challenges. My very best wishes to you all!

DomesticOverlord said...

What a great idea. I think everyone should sit down and make that kind of list about their kids. It's a nice thing to go over when they're driving you insane.

Elly said...

Add to that list, he's a real ladies' man. Keep an eye on that boy!