Saturday, October 20, 2007

Throwing

Derek's been using throwing lately as a way to express that he's upset with something, cleaning up especially, sometimes if the dog eats his food, or I don't understand him. It's not okay and we tell him so, but the behavior continues. I was looking into social stories the other day for Allen and his cousin, and it occured to me that this would be a good way to explain to Derek that it's okay to throw sometimes, playing catch and so forth, but not when you're angry. (Here's a link to the site, if you have no idea what a social story is)

So here is the draft of his story:

Derek Throws: The Pleasure and the Peril

Sometimes throwing is good and fun to do. Sometimes throwing is not okay.

Catch is a fun game. I like to play catch. I know that someone is ready to play catch when they are looking at me and have their arms out, ready to catch. Then it's best to throw the ball right to the person. Then they will throw the ball back and we are playing a fun game of catch!

Sometimes I have to put some garbage in the garbage can or some clothes in a laundry basket. It can be fun to throw the clothes or the garbage in their place. I might even practice making baskets by throwing beanbags into a basket.

It is not okay to throw things when I am angry, sad, or frustrated. I might break the thing I throw or hurt another person. Instead of throwing, I could cry, say "I'm mad!", hit the floor or a pillow with my hands, or take a break.

Throwing things can be lots of fun, if I do the kinds of throwing that are okay.


Ta-da! What do you think, y'all?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it. I'm going to use parts of it for an autistic kiddo I work with. He's been throwing objects. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I like it. I'm going to use parts of it for an autistic kiddo I work with. He's been throwing objects. Thank you.