Thursday, November 8, 2007

Still Eating at the Table - Woot!

Just wanted to let both of you know that we are still eating at the table with good consistency. Yay for us!

Errands after school are really hard, though. Derek is exhausted and cranky and I've been dealing with plenty of crap at work, so patience is in short supply on both sides. Some afternoons are mostly temper tantrum, recovery, temper tantrum, recovery, temper tantrum, etc. But we had a good day yesterday. We didn't go anywhere because I did the grocery shopping before he came home from school. I wasn't feeling cranky or spacey from work, he didn't have to behave properly in the overwhelming grocery store.

Derek is excited about traffic lights these days. He used to have a compulsive thing where he would only walk down the street if the light up ahead was red. He hasn't done that in awhile. Now he likes to make his vehicles wait for the light when he's playing. He's really bossy and makes us all wait incredibly long. If there were real traffic lights that long, I'd fire the traffic engineer. Derek also comments on the state of the traffic lights as we are driving.

I went to yoga class in ages yesterday. My work got a grant to bring in a yoga class to the students and the teacher has extended complimentary yoga classes to the staff. The teacher is excellent and I enjoyed myself very much. My therapist will be proud of my excellent self care. Derek got to hang out with Sean and Uncle Adam, which he usually seems to like. Once it becomes part of the routine, I hope everybody will look forward to Wednesdays.

Next time I will try to comment more on the tantrums and think about how they could be prevented.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yay for eating at the table! And yay for yoga! Good job Karen.